Renal volumes by ultrasound and its correlation with body mass index and body surface area in adult population
Context: Renal volume measurements by USG in adult population and its correlation with metabolic indicators like body mass index (BMI) and body mass area (BSA).
Aims: Renal functions are directly related to the renal dimensions, especially renal volume, which greatly varies with individual phenotype. The Aim of this study is to correlate renal volumes as obtained by ultrasound with Body Mass Index and Body surface area in Adult population with normal serum urea and creatinine.
Settings and Design: Hospital based, cross sectional study.
Methods and Material: Total 105 adults presenting in Hamidia Hospital OPD [52 Males (M) + 53 Females (F)] referred for USG abdomen in Radiodiagnosis department were examined by Philips Doppler equipment. Auto-calculated renal volumes were obtained using volumetric software. BMI, BSA were calculated with individual height and weight. All patients presenting in clinical OPDs with symptoms other than abdominal/urinary/renal complains were included. All patients demonstrated normal serum urea and creatinine levels.
Statistical analysis used: Correlation coefficient (r) and P-values were calculated using excel data tool.
Results: Age ranges from 20-70 yrs with mean age 43.08 yrs.[ (M) = 44.60 yrs, (F)= 42.07 yrs]. Mean BMI and BSA was 26.87kg/m2 and 1.76 m2, (M=26.679 kg/m2, 1.88 m2 and F= 27.059 kg/m2, 1.63 m2). Mean renal volume of right kidney (RK) was 110.34 cm3 and left kidney (LK) was 104.66 cm3 [(M= 117.05(RK), 117.28(LK)], and [F= 103.60(RK), 104.66(LK)].Renal volumes were higher in younger population and in males (M= 118.94 cm3 RK and 49.18 cm3 LK> F=109.21 cm3 RK and 44.28 cm3 LK).
Conclusions: Renal volumes in adult populations with known abdominal/urinary/renal complains were positively correlated with individual height and weight and so with BMI and BSA. Stronger correlation was noted with BSA and left kidney volumes. These observations can contribute in development of renal normograms in adult population and to assess renal morbidities when variations in above observations is seen.
2. Buchholz NP, Abbas F, Biyabani SR,Afzal M, Javed Q, Rizvi Ietal.Ultrasonographic renal size in individuals with out known renal disease. J. Pak Med Assoc 2000 Jan; (50)
3. Denic A, Mathew J, Lerman LO, Lieske JC, Larson JJ, Alexander MP et al .Metabolic Functions of the Kidney. Engl J Med 1966 November 17, 1966; (DOI: 10.1056/ NEJM196611172752013).
4. Nyengard JR, Bendsten TF. :. Glomerular number and size in relation to age, kidney weight and body surface in normal man,.Anat Rec. 232(2) 1992 Feb.
5. A. Adibi, I. Adibi, and P. Khosravi, . “Do kidney sizes in ultrasonography correlate to glomerular filtration rate in healthy children?,.Australasian Radiology 2007; vol. 51(no. 6 ).
6. E. Widjaja, J. W. Oxtoby, T. L. Hale, P. W. Jones, P. N. Harden, and I. W. McCall, “Ultrasound measured renal length versus low dose CT volume in predicting single kidney glomerular filtration rate. British Journal of Radiology 2004,; vol. 77(no. 921).
7. Platt J, Rubin J, Ellis J, US. Radiology.. Diabetic nephro-pathy: evaluation with renal duplex Doppler. 1994 Feb; (190 (2)).
8. Brkljacić B, Mrzljak V, Drinković I, Soldo D, Sabljar-Matovinović M., HebrangA.. Renal vascular resistance in diabetic nephropathy: duplex Doppler US evaluation. 1994 Aug; (192(2)),Pubmed.
9. Adedeji A. Egberongbe, 1,* Victor A. Adetiloye,2 Abiodun O. Adeyinka, 3 Olusegun T. Afolabi,4 Anthony O. Akintomide,5 and Olugbenga O. Ayoola, . Evaluation of renal volume by ultrasonography in patients with essential hypertension in Ile-Ife, south western Nigeria. Libyan J Med. 2010 Jan 25; 5: 10 (doi: 10.3402/ljm. v5i0.4848).
10. Emamian SA, Nielsen MB, Pedersen JF, YtteL.. Kidney dimensions at sonography: correlation with age, sex, and habitus in 665 adult volunteers. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1993; vol 160 (issue 1).
11. Justo Oyuela-Carrasco, Franciso Rodriguez-Castellanos, Eric Kimura, \Rosa Elena Delgado, Juan Pablo Herrera-Felix,. Renal length by ultrasound in Mexican adults. Nefrologia2009.; 29(1)(doi: 10.3265/ Nefrologia. 2009.29.1.30.1).
12. Afaf Mohamed, Ahmed Medani, Caroline Edward Ayad, Mohmmed Elfadil ,MohammedGarelnabi, Hussein Ahmed Hassan.. Normative Kidneys Measurements in Sudanese: A Morphometric CT Based Study. Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences (IOSR-JDMS) -ISSN: 2279-0853 February. 2017; Volume 16 (Issue 2).
13. EgberongbeAdedeji.Need for a nomogram of renal sizes in the Indian population.Indian J Med Res 2014 May; (139(5)).
14. World health Organization,. Global database on Body Mass index, International classification of adult under-weight, overweight and obesity according to BMI.
15. BMI calculator. thecalculatorsite.com