Role of Ultrasound in evaluation of children with acute abdomen
Objectives: To evaluate the ultrasonography abdominal findings in children with acute abdomen in children and assess the gastrointestinal disease patterns that can be evaluated by ultrasound.
Design: A descriptive prospective study.
Setting: LN Medical College, Bhopal.
Subjects: 74 children who presented with acute onset abdominal pain.
Results: Of the 74 children, 17 (23%) were normal on sonography; 32(43%) have intestinal obstruction, 11 (14.8%) have appendicitis and 6 (8.1%) have abscess.
2. Siegel MJ, Carel C, Surratt S. Ultrasonography of acute abdominal pain in children.JAMA. 1991;266(14):1987–9.
3. Mason JD. The evaluation of acute abdominal pain in children. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 1996;14(3):629–43.
4. Kaiser S, Frenckner B, Jorulf HK. Suspected appendicitis in children: US and CT—a prospective randomized study. Radiology2002; 223:633–638.
5. Johansson EP, Rydh A, Riklund KA. Ultrasound, computed tomography, and laboratory findings in the diagnosis of appendicitis. Acta Radiol 2007;48:267–273.
6. Poortman P, Lohle PN, Schoemaker CM, et al. Comparison of CT and sonography in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis: a blinded prospective study. AJR Am J Roentgenol 2003; 181:1355–1359.
7. Brenner DJ, Hall EJ. Computed tomography: an increasing source of radiation exposure. N Engl J Med 2007; 357:2277–2284.
8. Goske MJ, Applegate KE, Boylan J, et al. The “Image Gently” campaign:increasing CT radiation dose awareness through a national education and awareness program. Pediatr Radiol 2008; 38:265–269.
9. Karen E, Thomas, Catherine M, Owens. The paediatric abdomen.Text book of radiology and imaging.7th ed., vol. 28.ElsevierScienceLimitedUnitedKingdom;2009.p. 849
10. Mendelnson RM, Lindsemll DRM. Ultarsound examination of pediatric “acute abdomen” preliminary findinds. BJR 1987;60:414-6.
11. Walsh PF, Crawford D, Crossling FT, et al. The value of immediate ultrasound in acute abdominal conditions : A critical appraisal. Clin Radiol 1990;42:47-9.
12.Carmody E, McGrath EF, Keeling F. The role of emer-gency ultrasonography in the management of the acute abdomen. Proc Br Med Ultrasound Soc 1990;63: 383.
13. Verbanck JJ, Aelst FV, Rutgeerts L, Demuynck H, Ghillebert G, Vergauwe P, et al. The impact of routine admission abdominal sonography on patient care. J Clin Ultrasound 1988;16:651-4